Monday, November 17, 2014

A COLD WIND BLOWS



A WIND BLOWS COLD

 

Middle of November, and a big winter storm passed by.  It is over now and on Monday morning, am experiencing a let-down when I look around and realize, tranquil environment in the RV Park, and people have left and only a few hard core people like me, are here.  So it is a quiet morning, and yes, expect that to change as the roads open, the snow melts and the ice permits road travel.  As for me, am here for another week.  Big rig and my driver is out and about, so I am here to enjoy the amenities.  That would be all the coffee you can drink, and a golf course with frost on it, and yes, November and the outdoor pool is closed.  On the inside is a spa tub for you to warm up in.


And I like that after a long walk out in the nature section of the park, where I am for another week.  Car and Driver, and mostly I am a passenger.  Not complaining, to be the one left behind, as that indeed is a state of mind.  Not rushing off to work.  No commute.  Tranquil and Quiet, with plenty of coffee and time to write a blog.  Great way to start this week.  Before I know it, will be Thanksgiving and after that, all the holidays of the season.  It is the time of year that I often find myself traveling.  Off to see the kids and family and anybody who will have me.  Not that being old is a curse of its own making, more like it is the contrast time, when you have time to do the things, left unattended when you were working and raising your family.  Past that now.  Have made other arrangements for the nuts and bolts of life.

 


So here I am, out and about, with no real history of being here before.  So it’s a mini-adventure, and starts with coffee and TV.  Watching the screens for news of what I might be missing, and as it turns out.  I am doing okay.  Missing, but not in a major way.  There is UPS and the retrieval process.   And have decided to give it a rest, back up to the fireplace and get warm.  And that is exactly what I find myself doing.  Warming up, but hope to be invisible in the middle of activity reserved for others.  Talk and Chatter and basic news.  Will use the day to plan for the week.  What exactly do I hope to accomplish, down the road we take?  Will need google map and my computer to see what is in range.  Turns out there are rental golf carts and small cars available.  So its not like I am a prisoner in Old-People’s-Camp.  More like it is up to me, to decide and then act.  And I will, once the nice lady behind me stops offering me more coffee.

 

Flashback to the reason I am here.  Here and it is comforting to know that rain ponchos are provided, if needed.  Of course, inside the RV has all one needs.  Club house and facilities of the place we are parked, has space and a few live bodies.  Once in a lifetime experience, if you register the fact that on this crowded planet, few have followed me to this space, where for a reasonable fee, on this day, have the place mostly to myself.  Has to do with winter storm, and people not traveling and moving around on the road surface.  Waiting for the ice to thaw and the light snow to stop.


 

Am here because I decided I could not stay in the city, in a small apartment and go out of life, without somebody around me, to call 911.  So am doing the out and about routine.  Spending, and no longer saving for a rainy day.  Is a planned progression and a Baby Boomer, end of generation party and celebration.  Luxury to just be.  And that is the reason I am here.  Going out in style.  And found that the RV and Snow Bird style is cheaper than a Rest Home.  Monday and catching up.  Waiting for somebody to come by, with the local news from a live and knowledgeable person, and not news on the TV.


The master plan and the general scope of things is good, but there is room for improvement.  What was I expecting, when in the end, I find myself alone.  Alone in the sense, I am not in the middle of a large city.  Alone with my thoughts and first impressions of this style of being that is somewhat new to me.  What was I expecting?  Comes down to just being, and not being entertained by others.  Dealing with the space and tranquility, like an astronaut in outer space.  Dark and dismal and alone.  Except when I am not and there are visitors asking, “How’s it going?”    “Interesting experience.”, I say and leave it at that.  Not unfriendly, but still finding out how it is out in the middle of an RV Camp, and its raining and I am starting to get cold, so I know this is not a good time for a long conversation.

 

Ready to start my day.  Not Motel 6 and there are no Dunkin Donuts establishments  close by.  Mostly I am on my own, and as if I was at my place in the city on a rainy day, I will curl up with a blanket, keep warm and read and stay busy.  And if somebody stops by, knocks on my door, and invites me out to play, I will consider all offers.  Even if it comes with the expected, “More coffee, Sir.”

 



No comments:

Post a Comment