Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Copious Amounts


Copious Amounts

 

I am going into the New Years 2016 with a split-vision perspective, and remind myself that the world as I know it is an acquired taste.  Seems silly to me that I would blow myself up like a puffer fish and try to scare the big fish away, but is what I am doing these days.  Seems I am dropping back and punting, putting the ball in somebody elses hands, and let them run the distance for a score, or for some other goal that is just not realistic for me at the time and place I find myself in these days.

 

Find myself with copious amounts of humor and humility and humble estate in a wind-swept landscape of my own making.  Having said that, I brace myself against the winds of change, and accept the challenge.  And what might that challenge be?   For starters I suggest that I go it alone, side stepping the incongruities of time warp and just not feeling it, as I am faced with a new plane of reality that comes with smart phones and dumbed-down humans, forced to taking things as they come, for better or worse.


Each day coming up with new ways to deal with the situation as it parades itself in front of me, demanding full attention, regardless of my position in this techno-illogical of man-made constructions that tend towards legitimacy because they appear and you acknowledge it.   And that’s it.  Social media and you making your presence known, and often it leaves me wondering, “Do I know you?”  “What does this have to do with me?”

 

And of course this discussion could go on in copious amounts of word flow, except for the very fact that I have little time or energy for any of this.  You see, I have acquired one or two more devices, and each operates as a separate universe until itself.  A Kindle Fire and it came as a gift over the holidays.  Another was a tablet Kit Kat Android Tablet, with camera front and back.  And if that isn’t enough to throw the mind into delirious spin, I will continue to collect the down side of materialism as Sales and Returns add up, and on my table sit the trophies of the holidays, unwrapped.


Okay.  One last thing before I drown myself in sorrow, or as it happens in your neighborhood, the next best thing which might be drinking our favorite cocktail on New Year’s Eve.  Just reading where I can celebrate the coming of 2016 in a very special way.  Seems the USA Today is reporting that Olive Garden in Times Square is charging $400 per person for New Year’s Eve tickets.  Reading more details I find that that includes a bathroom and a buffet and an open bar, meaning it’s a pay-as-you-go Drink situation, and it costs more and more, and that of course depends on you and your budget and appetite.  Seems like in copious amounts you can party and celebrate and for New York City is relatively cheap, if you don’t worry about taxi or hotel expenses after midnight on one of the busiest times of the year.

 

It has taken me two days now to complete this blog.  Wanted it done by January 1, 2016.  Have a couple of days to get this posted, but of course I wanted it completed now.  Not sure what I should finish with.  Do not want to be dismissive of imparting both positive energy and also a grand gesture that New Year’s with family and friends drinking copious amounts of champagne and watching college football game is most important and must be done in grand style. 



Am I looking forward to 2016?  Yes and No is the answer I present here and now.  Yes, because it means I am alive and that speaks for itself.  No, because the celebration encapsulates the point that I must wash over all of this with copious amounts of alcohol and other stimulants that fortify all this as having a good time.  So that is where I am.  Familiar with the rituals of bringing in the New Years, and familiar with doing all this with the help of a designated driver, as I must not break the law, nor get a DUI, or even injure others or myself, all in the name of welcoming 2016. 


The things we do to celebrate leaves me breathless.  And yes, welcoming in the New Years can be done without drinking or drugging and all that.  Most will ignore what others do and say concerning New Year’s Day 2016.  Even so I encourage the opportunity to share this blog with you.


Copious Amounts in this case amounts to next to nothing, as I sit on my couch in a stupor on January 1st, asking myself.  “What day is it?  Did the Eagles win?”  And that’s when I reflect back to    Times Square and the night before, and Olive Garden and being together to watch New York City drop the ball, and because it is not perfectly clear what really happened, I just have to ask for a second time. 
“Did the Eagles win?” 

 

And now it comes to me that they probably didn’t, as Philadelphia NFL just fired their coach Chip Kelly.  This is a football fact that has nothing to do with you, nor do you have interest in.  Leaving me to think that New Year’s and Football and things like that are not even related to each other at all.  And if we think this way, then it leaves me with copious amounts of yesterday that I just need to discard and not include in my baggage in the year 2016.  And yet, I am an old fashion person.  Will not feel like the job is complete until I wish you a Happy New Years.
Happy New Years.  2016.

 

Now I am done and has me thinking.  “I need a drink or something.”  Because life without you and without football is incomprehensible to me.  And there you have it.  Modern times all over the globe and it has me wondering, “Where did 2015 go?”


Happened so fast, and now I sit dizzy and wondering.  Did the Eagles Win?  Chip Kelly and he just lost his job.  And millions say, “ Eagles, Bears and Lions.  What exactly has this to do with me and a Happy New Year’s 2016.   And I possible could attempt to tell you, but then realize this is an international blog and site, going world-wide to spread the message, and for the most part the significance of it all is lost, or just lost in translation, and it is true.  We do not speak the same language.  Words flow in copious amounts, but leaves me sitting on the couch, asking.  “What just happened?  Do I care?”


Football and New Year’s celebration is still a few days in the future.  I feel better now.  Conversation about the future is senseless and about football, once what was important is no longer the case as we venture off-planet and into outer space, knowing that on the moon and on Mars, they don’t even have a team.  So no reason to go there, but we do.  And that leaves me thinking.  The year 2016 and where are you?   And more importantly I wonder.  “Are we there yet?”  And one more.  “Are we having fun?”   


2 comments:

  1. A good new year to you. I think you have hit on a most important question. What do we have in common. I do quite like you quaint football. Seriously the rich poor gap has made the common ground minimal. At present I have piles of very cheap bananas and tangerines. If I don't buy the they are dumped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't make corrections on these comments. So, if I don't buy them they are dumped. I am the only resident of this island who cycles. The 14 mile road is dense with cars. The hills and lovely beaches are empty. Must go as I have a visitor.

    ReplyDelete