Saturday, September 13, 2014

SPORTS AND LIFE




SPORTS AND LIFE


 

 

Wanted to watch a little football on Thursday.  Turns out there is a feeding frenzy when it
comes to American Football.  Not sure the bait is the game itself, but more like a form of Man-Soap-Opera.  They put it out there, and the players run with it.  Want to see the game, but most of the evening and early in the day, all that I received is a story about domestic problems.   





This removes me from the front line of interest in the Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh game, which is why I tuned in.  Is a new season and much like things going on in the middle east, I wonder, should I be excited about all this?    Somebody lost their head.  Others did something they may later regret.  And now its being discussed.  Its front page news.  The unintended consequence of a violence game or situation.  








And I wonder, is this a game I should be attending?  Should I be playing?  Or is it a time for personal change?  I wonder.  Back to baseball, where they smash a little white ball with a wooden or metal bat.  Sports and now I am wondering, is this a man thing.  Football.  Baseball.  Boxing.  The Scrum.  Contact Sports.  What does this have to do with domestic violence, and is this something I will ever understand?  A simple misunderstanding or is this a bigger issue.  I wonder, but surely do not know. 



And is important for me to get a grasp on how this all relates to me.  I came to enjoy a game of violence and now go away, wondering if I brought all this on myself, and am really responsible for this uneasy feeling I have, among my fellow men.  So here I am, and I do want to stay away from editorial and politics and the difficulty I have when receiving an impulse to play a game, or watch a game that I thought would be on TV, and thought it important to me, that I involve myself.  






And now, I find myself in escapists land.  Hollywood version of a basic Friday morning, when the hangover of football and too much immersion into the tropic of sports, gives me a migraine, or in simple terms:  More pain than I can bear.   Not sure I can wear the plastic replica of the Super Bowl Ring my home team has earned and made possible.  Seattle Seahawks.  Football.  The big game.   Is it time to move on and give away my first love:  Man Sports.  The gladiator in the garden.  Blowing smoke.  Striking out.  Beating the issue to death.  And masking all of this as a popular game, we pay dearly to support.  






Seems as if I am in the middle of something that might be portrayed as a misunderstanding.  More than likely, as it is told to me by somebody I care about, this is a communication problem.  Its just a game, and it involves violence.   A voice and the warning comes.  "Remove yourself from all of this.  Its violent.  It will hurt you."  In opposition and with extreme contrast, there is a misunderstanding.  Peaceful circumstances, and then the game.  A violence situation and we call it sport.  Blood sport.  Not sure if I should be doing this.  On Sunday.  At church.  At the game.  Where do I find myself.  In a room where perhaps I should not be.  Is this just a situation of receive mixed messages, and it has gotten quite confusing. 



And I have been in the receptive mode, and I think it began when I was young.  Playing games, and learned to use my elbow to keep my opponent away from me.  Then I took up boxing, and it was just a sport.  Amateur and my parents were told it wasn’t dangerous, as their child would be protected by the rules and the people in the ring and there to make sure everything was kosher.





Boxing and movies.  Came natural to me.  Saw Lena Horne.  Heard a radio broadcast of Joe Louis fighting in the ring.  They came together and a romance with beautiful women and dangerous men had me thinking at age 10, that I could be involved in a life, just like this.  






 

Then came reality and so many warning flags appear.  It wasn’t as I thought it might be.  Blurring of the lines.  Combat on the field.  Combat at home.  A lot going on over time, and not something a 10 year old boy-child should carry forward.  Now a grown man and the games we play are more dangerous that ever before.  And this is when I decide.  To go for a walk.  Ignore the game.  It’s violent.  And tell myself,  "Live in Peace.  It starts at home." 



No comments:

Post a Comment