Wednesday, October 1, 2014

WHEN BASEBALL AND FOOTBALL CONVERGE





WHEN BASEBALL AND FOOTBALL CONVERGE


 

I find myself in a place that I have not found myself before.  Am trying on wheels for legs, and it seems to be working.  Am a late bloomer in many ways.  Have been saying I have been retired for a while now, but what I meant to say was that at my age, nobody will hire me.  For Hire.  Had that sign out, but decided it was similar to when I was  11 years old.  The Lemonade Stand.  Sign read.  5 cents a cup.  All you can drink in one gulp.  Did my homework.  One cup.  One gulp.  Filling up your cup for a second serving for free, not happening.  Turns out it saved me from the hassle of telling the customer:  No Refills.  


 
So retired, and finally have found a way to uncouple myself from the routine of the work life of many years, I had so carefully cultivated.  So now am preparing myself for a Strange Life.  Perhaps early training for my trip to Eternity.  Uncoupling the city routine, and making tracks on asphalt and highway shoulders.  Reminding myself to live free, while I can.  Have been landlocked in my usual habitat for many years now.  The myth was to retire at age 65.  Get  your social security and just play the Senior Years.  I said.  "Myth."  Didn’t exactly happen that way for me, but now.  Now I am making my getaway.  And the good part.  Have found a traveling companion, who thinks:  " Better Late Than Never."



 
So am asking myself, is it okay to just do this; when I have season tickets to a sports game.  What about those Seattle Mariners of 2014.  A few days ago as I was pulling out of town, others were overloading the transportation system to get to the game that would determine if this team would be in the Post Season.  Of course it is a copycat world.  Last year Seattle’s Football Team won the Super Bowl, and yes it is still a "What-Have-You-Done-For-Me-Lately?"-WORLD.  But there is an after glow to winning big, and maybe because it happened so close to home,  Seattle Seahawks win, and the Seattle Mariners ask, "Why not Us."  And US is a word that means many things in this  context.  And I won’t get into all that.  But what I will talk about is the convergence of sports in my time.  Baseball in October. 



 
For Seattle this year, it almost happened.  Myth, like the Retirement theory, but had me swallowing bait, until I decided to leave town before the games happened.  Just a good idea, if you are doing the 24/7 thing.  Do things when its less crowded.  And yes is a good time to mention that the planet has billions of people like me on it now.  So not really thinking that I am driving into the sunset and when I get there, I will be by myself.  So taking a companion, and a dog.  The rest will follow when they find out there is money to be made for THE-BABY-BOOMER-CROWD.  Now retiring.  Now spending that hard earned money that took a lifetime to make, and become expendable income or resources.  So Baseball and Football in October. 




And when asked, "Where to?"  I responded, "Any small town that has a football or basketball or hockey game going on."  And I was prepared for it.  Wait For It.  Companion said, "So its going to be like that is it?"  And I could tell, Sports would be had on the Web Device with headsets on, while Travel Partner was driving or doing something other than sports spectator routine.    And this is when I realized:  I am now living in a Convergent Zone.  And anything can happen.  And will.


 

Wheels are turning.  Feet propped up, and not in the drivers seat.  It doesn’t matter that they are playing baseball in October.  Doesn’t matter that there will be a game on Oct. 12th in Seattle and I have a ticket.  Nope, that is history.  Made arrangements to get away from it all.  But since I see myself in a convergent zone, that dictates that no matter where you go, You Will Be Found.  So now I am making it easy.  Sat down with people wiser than I.  Talked about the things I would need to give it all up, and have it all.  First thing that was ordered:  A Library.  You see I am an avid reader.  Write blogs because I am not working and have time on my hand.  So arrived in the mail.  Library On Wheels.  You have to see it to believe it. Modern gadgets and technology. 



 
And yes, The Mail always comes to the next place you make reservations for.  Not sure how it all works.  Is why I am not going alone.  Can’t drive like you have to, to do this style.  Anyway,  ordered and received a Amazon KINDLE.  Instant library.  Instant other things too.  Told that all we have to do is have a signal and its like being at the game.  So that convinced me to give it a try. 




So that’s where I give up my attitude.  Doesn’t matter that I can’t buy into baseball in October.  But now, I have better things to do.  Will pull into a small town.  Ask. "What’s going on?"   And hope they point me in the direction of a High School or College game.  What game.  Does it matter.  I am downsizing.  And besides, we just pulled in.  So is okay to catch the last quarter of what ever is going on.  Older and Mellow now.  I can do it.





No comments:

Post a Comment