Thursday, January 1, 2015

NOT A FOOTBALL DAY



NOT A FOOTBALL DAY




Making a statement.  Is January 1, 2015 and I have declared this day to be a not-football-day.  Not sure if I am doing this out of boredom or because it’s a form of protection for my inner and outer self.  At this point I would like to go a step further, and say, “ Not an Internet Day either.”  But that wouldn’t be accurate either.  Computer and World Wide Web and Internet and Entertainment Center all seem to be connected.  And am not taking a stand here to disconnect from the way things are, but in the heat of the moment standing by the fire, I am warming up to the idea that this is the first day of the new year, and the things I do will set a precedent for the things I will do, as the year goes along.


Trying to not be emotional or just in the moment when my passion for a new day takes over, yet will start off the new year with a bang, slam the door on football, read a book on the E-reader Kindle Device, turn on the radio and listen to music or talk show or something, just audio fodder in my ear piece and be able to find a certain peace of mind, New Year’s or not, I want to say, “Here I am.  I felt it.”


Important to me that I keep an open mind.  2015 and 2016 might place me at the end of days, and since I believe in continuance and the day-after, will not place a lot of weight on the words, earthquake or tsunami or wind storm.  Mostly body language with a voice over, and will let my actions speak for itself, but only after I repeat.  “I felt it.”  New Year’s day and last night was the past.  Making an effort to limit myself, tell less and more or less, tell less stories in the year 2015.  Which is a challenge, as most of my blogs are a form of story telling and entertainment and a Saturday Night Live performance, that comes spontaneously because its just blogging and no real point to it.  Have found that out over the years.  “No Point To It.”



And then read that Hillary Clinton is at the point of no return.  Add to that Jeb Bush rescheduling his life, just in case he decides to run for the American Presidency 2016.  Been here and done that.  Bush and Clinton are familiar names.  And so it is best to let nature and politics take its course, without making it the element that ruins your day.  Two steps forward and one step back.  Have no idea what comes next.  New Year’s Eve.  A party.  Live and Loud Music.  Events that people will forget and/or remember as that which ushered in The New Year.  And I will stay with it.  January 1st will not be a football day, nor will it be me on the internet, doing email and facebook and twitter.  Instead I will make my basic statement as to how the New Year approached me, when I say: 

 “I felt it.”


Two steps forward and one step back, and now find myself in 1965.  Wife says, “Is that all there is.”  She is making a statement about what people do on New Year’s Day.  It was the first of many ways she showed her disappointment from the way people in America celebrate New Year’s Day.  Party the night before and a lot of drinking.  Then comes couch potato day, as the men sit around the television, nursing a hangover and asking, “Is dinner ready yet?”  New Year’s Day 1965.  Football and college bowl games.  Black and white TV.  No Internet.  But there was football, and you either found a way to work around it, or you went out and left the men to do their thing.  And over the year’s I remember her first words on the subject.  “Is that all there is?”



A lot of changes in my life, since January 1, 1965.  And to even talk about or attempt to recall the differences in my own personal state, and the world in general, would be another exercise in story telling and dwelling in the past.  And so it is, January 1, 2015.  Maybe how I got here is not important.  Alive and well and with renewed effort I will try to plan a day and execute it well.  Death to the past.  1965.  Forget about it.  2015 and football.  Forget about it.   Just figure out how January 1st 2015 will be for you, and perhaps for me I will know in retrospect, if I was able to keep my word.  Flee the past.  Not be disappointed.  Embrace all things new.  Look around the corner.  Drink tea, not whiskey.  Be healthy.  Be wise.  Be prosperous.



And from there we can use that as a foundation and first step to the next 364 days of 2015.   Two steps forward, and one step back.  This really can be a no-football-day.  Will call everybody I know and ask them what they are doing?  “Wanna go for a walk?”  Will be the new-me.  Will shock a few people when I go a whole day without mentioning The Seattle Seahawks NFL experience and without a drink or toke or mind game.  New Year’s Day Parade.  Stoney walking around with a sign.  “I felt it.”  Not talking.  Not mentioning 1965, nor the past.  Body language says it all.  Changes in Stoney, who is not an emotional guy.  But gets their attention by wearing an overcoat and hat and gloves, and carrying that sign.

 “I felt it.”

1 comment:

  1. We are on my map, W Coast America, Seatle. Bev is on the East Coast, Maine. I am on an island in the Atlantic and it's snowing which is unusual. My wife was to have a meeting on "Death" . I was going to go but it was cancelled, because of the weather.

    ReplyDelete