Thursday, June 6, 2013

DRAGNET SURVEILLANCE



DRAGNET SURVEILLANCE



 
I am looking forward to all of this, but first I need to make a search and see what the name of Detective Sgt Friday’s sidekick’s name was. Not sure why this is important, but I am chopping at the bit to get some meat and potatoes into this blog.  And it all starts with the title:  Dragnet Surveillance   and drags me back to simple times when all we had to do, is to gather in and distribute: 

"Just The Facts, Mam." 




 As time speeds forward it is easy to forget.  And mix up the particulars.  And this gets complicated when I TRY to blend the old and new, and find a way to make this interesting and contemporary.  And so I look forward to all of this.  Writing a blog.  Showing Character.  And not doing anything more than is necessary.  Blogging in the era of Internet and Phone log surveillance, and to do so without becoming a target of one of the agency people:  FBI   NSA  Covert-Military.  The names change, but the best part.  They do all this to keep us safe.  Is what I learned from World War II logic and the making of an atom bomb.  And from what I can tell:  Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.  That’s what is important here.  

"Just the Facts, Mam."



Just in case it is of interest.  Sgt’s Friday’s original partner was actor Barton Yarborough, who portrayed Friday’s partner, Sgt Ben Romero.  Over the years, there have been more than one partner, but that is not important.  What is important is the tie-in to today title:  Dragnet Surveillance.  And what might that be?  Begins with the narrative:  "We were working the day watch.  …… My partner is Ben Romero.  The boss is Ed Backstrand, Chief of Detectives.  My name’s Friday."  And of course that was yesterday, but the thing that remains for me, is the keeping of the continuity.  We were doing all this to protect the innocent.  And that is what I keep in mind as I read the morning headlines, knowing that authority is under attack, and the media is looking to identify the bad guy in this caper.  So let’s begin.




Has a lot to do with the on-going theme of finding somebody to blame for the mess we are in.  And new terminology to explain the Electronic Frontier and how that became a game-change®.  Kind of funny really.  Working the day watch and am asked,

"Can you name 2 people you know who were arrested lately?" 





 And because that conversation was recorded, I am now on a watch list, and its not just for one day.  Constant surveillance.  That’s the new deal.  Reading from the headlines, is how an old one like me learns from the young.  On-going political drama and finger pointing, and all in all, I realize, it all began when they recruited Ben Laden to work for us, back in the days when Russia invaded Afghanistan, and played out their version of senseless undeclared conflict, like we did in the good ole days of Viet Nam.  




So anyway.  Reading the headlines.  "….Supreme Court Says Americans Can’t Challenge "Dragnet Surveillance" Law."  Didn’t really need to read the article, but did need to check around and update my mind to take in the new vocabulary.  "Dragnet Surveillance."  And so I did.  "Just the Facts, mam."  All about NSA’s secret eavesdropping efforts.  And a ruling about all that.  Can we do it.  Is it legal.  And it turns out according to the headlines, it must be ok.  

Top Law Dogs say we can’t challenge it.  
So life goes on.



Life goes on and it somewhat amuses me.  Surveillance and Accountability.  But then, its all being done to protect the innocent.  I used to be like that.  But not now.  It is all a bit disturbing, but not really.  Comes with reading the news and daily headlines.  Come to know, its what they do in Washington DC and over there.  Looking for bad guys and somebody to blame for the mess we are in.  But its not all that bad.  Was reading.  Report:  NSA asked Verizon for records of all calls in the U.S.  And putting this out like it is brand new.  But it is not.  Only now we think we have proof.  "Only The Facts, man."  Its all shrouded in secrecy, so how do you really know what anybody is doing?  That’s the question Sgt Friday would ask.




And life goes on.  Going through the phone records each and every day of millions of Americans, ordinary citizens like you and I.  On the watch list.  Wonder how we got there, but that isn’t really important now.  Automatic program.  Monitors my phone record and calls.  Who knows what that means.  Not I.  But can imagine from the picture at the top of this blog that this is the new office and technology job that my young-people daughter or son, just graduating from college and needing a job, is doing to pay the bills. 

More jobs.  New Office.  Technology.  




And its better we don’t know.  But there it is.  Morning headlines.  Verizon is allowing somebody access to my phone records and calls.  Data Mining they call it.  And for those trained in the new procedures, it is all most revealing.  Has come full circle.  Relevant to a terrorism-investigation.  And that’s that.  If you have any questions, ask our commander-in-chief.  As for me, its what I have suspected all along.  Doing all this to protect the innocent.  




And I am thinking.  I love baseball, apple pie and mother.  Do I qualify.  For what?  Dragnet Surveillance.  Protection.  And a free ticket to The Yankees Game.  Seems like that would make me happy.  Just the fact that my son or daughter has a job.  And I look up.  All those screens.  So much information.  And I wonder.  Do I qualify for a section 8?  




Sgt. Friday reminds me.  Section 8 refers to a category of discharge from the United States military when judged mentally unfit for service.  Its a 1950’s thing.  Just like the ole detective series, complete with narrative:  Dragnet.  And it makes me wonder, does this also apply to the Commander-in-Chief.  And am reminded.  Of.  Section 8.  Thoughts for and about crazy people and ways and of the passing days.  Under Dragnet Surveillance.  Having fun.  As life goes on.  Oh wait.  The telephone is ringing?  Wonder who is there?  Don’t ask.  






No comments:

Post a Comment