Monday, February 10, 2014

a universal act



A UNIVERSAL ACT




scene:  Sitting on the beach at Bognor Regis Beach in the UK, as it approaches 5:30 pm in February.  The sun going down, and now the beach is visible but growing dark.  One person sits nears water’s edge, and I am wondering could this be you or I.  And now two more with shopping bag in hand, walk down to water’s edge.  Watching darkness settle on the incoming breakers that settle between the wood that must have been piers out into the water, a working beach front perhaps in another time. 




From the webcam view, I use as personal eyes, it is dark now and the white edge of wave is barely visible.  The lights are on and I can see a slice of town, and cars passing by on the main road, 50 yards or more to my left.  The beach is empty now, and it is but 30 minutes later, perhaps 6 pm, 70 miles southwest of London, where Bognor Regis Beach happens to be.




Time to go inside.  Dark and desolate beach, but seems to be calm and around 48 degrees, which is equal to where I am on this day and moment. Comparable weather, and is just 10 am, on the West Coast of America.  And I am considering a beach walk, as soon as I finish my morning tea and writing period.




Now, a return to Bognor Regis Beach.   Back across the water.  Seattle and living at water’s edge, much like the people who live just across from this beach in Bognor Regis, and I can see buildings that might have residential housing on the upper levels.  So I can relate, and is part of my extended living plan for today.  Should I tell you more?  This being a one sided blog, I think at this point the choice is mine.  Perhaps to be rescinded later, when I read your comments, and they come in the range of , "….Boring, Boring, and more so."  Then maybe this will be a one time event.  Random selection of a webcam, stationed far away from where I am.  Different as night and day.  Webcam and actual feet on the sand, land meeting sea.  And so I will come back.  Using technology, and adjusting my state of mind.




Will have the opportunity to read up on the area, Bognor Regis Beach.  Will adjust my viewing angle by using Google map and geo-app that allows me to explore at water’s edge, then move inland and look at the store fronts and people occupied places.   So let me explain why this all makes sense to me.  Last night on the phone with Niece Kamini, who calls to check up on me, from time to time.  You see, I am retired.  Have gotten older and set in my ways, and go out less and less. 




And so casually she asks, "So what do you have planned for this coming week?"  A perfectly good question, until it registered with me, what she was asking.  I said, "Absolutely nothing."  Have nothing to do, nor planned.  And this got me thinking.  Is this proper.  What should I be doing?





Time available.  Fully alive.  And I am saying, "Absolutely nothing."  And so awoke this morning.  Decided it was time to figure out a worthy compromise to having absolutely nothing to do that interests me.  And so I decided to time-travel using what was available to me.  Up and turn the computer on.  Turn the jazz station on, so I have sounds around me and I feel better, with the music on.  Jazz.  Smooth Jazz.  Now making tea, and putting on the visit screen, just in case.  In case a few selected people want to instant message me, and ask, "How are you doing?" 




And so am stepping outside my isolation.  Dark now at Bognor Regis Beach, but I can see equal to being there, stepping out of a pub at night, after work perhaps.  Looking across the road, down at the beach.  Can possibly hear the breaker’s roar.  And I am completely satisfied.





At water’s edge.  Warm, but now thinking I will go out.  Look out the window.  Raining.  Need to have a snack.  Oatmeal will do.  Then need to put on rainwear and protection.  At water’s edge, much like what I see from my computer, but of course it is daylight, and I am on the other side of the water.  And now I have a plan.  I have something to do.  And one thing leads to another.  And when my niece calls, and asks, "What are you doing?"  And I will tell her about my adventure.  How I went to Bognor Regis Beach, using Google Earth and other technology.  And I can hear it now, "Unreal."  And that will be that..  Stoney with something to do.  And now, the adventure begins. At water’s edge.






2 comments: