Thursday, February 27, 2014

milestones music and the selfie





 MILESTONES   MUSIC   AND THE SELFIE







My thoughts today are pushed in the direction of this blog and its content, inspired by contact, indirect, yet finding a place in concrete expression.  Milestones, music and the selfie, all going down hill, when 1980’s is the high and low point, depending on who you are and your personal assessment of things.  Downhill as a reference to the Russian Winter Olympics, now complete.  Nervous disorder and bad network programming prevented me from full enjoyment, and mostly enjoying the idea that it is over.  








So what is it I want to address in this session?  Started this yesterday, and now its tomorrow.  You know what I mean.  Days approach and replace the other, making for a constant flow where you forget how it really was.  Pick out a few points of conversation and make that your key address.  " I was young.  The music was good.  I did like to party."  And this is a constant with milestones and music.  They serve to connect the young and old, even if you just laugh at the idea of Elvis standing on stage or in front of a camera on the Ed Sullivan Show.  As if it didn’t happen, and now I want to include the SELFIE.  Please pardon me, if I have no clue.  This is coming from one who does not own a cell phone or the mega-camera that makes the Selfie possible.





We know that it comes down to being local and self-centered.  It can’t get any worse than a world of black and white movies without sound.  Or can it.  Ask me and I will say, " This is about me."  And its obvious, The-Me-Me-Me generation has taken all of this to the next level.  Guns and Rap and Music.  Might disturb me.  But everybody else seems to know what The Selfie is all about, and goes on with life.  Not sure I am right, and is why I am writing this blog.  I am amused.  



A New Spawn.  Small importence, to be replaced by a new creation, sooner than one would expect.  Rapid change and Milestones.  Maybe that is the true meaning of life.  Not sure.  Still working on the greater aspect of you and I and the party-people.  I do know, that without music, I would not have survived this long.  So I say a prayer to Elvis and the people who made 78 RPM records.  It had to start somewhere.  Why not:  Me-Me-Me. ?





I think it is essential to realize how its over before it starts.  We get this, when we listen to old music.  Music of our youth, etched into us.  We smile when there is a come-back and for a short while the old guys get on stage, play their music, and then go away.  We pay.  We play.  We are happy.  Celebrating Flaming Lips or that group or person that inspired us to live at full speed, have babies, and not bad-mouth any of this, including The Selfie.  





For the most part, I stay away from the Naked Selfie.  Know it happens and must serve notice to the body parts that are usually missing , but then again it has to do with common decency and social law.  Perhaps the cell phone and Instagram is changing all that, but not for me.  Older now.  Seen most of this in black and white.  Have children of my own.  Done.  Done.  And I repeat.  I think it is essential to realize how it is over before it starts.  





Looking on the bright side.  There is now a SELFIE MUSEUM.  Some place to put all of this, the conversation and the reality.  Warp and Shift and steady progression.  Didn’t see it coming, but they did.  The Me-Me-Me people.  God bless them all.  The unexpected happened and it was beautiful to me.  At Woodstock or some other gathering of the tribe.  Primitive.  And look at us now.  With a family pass, going to a show in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or Perth, or mostly where you are.  Hard to imagine.  Young wild child, now taking their babies to their first concert.  





Music blaring loud, and surely you remember the first time.  And that is where it all begins.  Milestones and Music and The Selfie.  Didn’t see the last part coming for me at the Rest Home.  But now, its true.  Serious digital-age penetration.  Guess my psyche can handle it.  Lived through  Elvis and The Beattle love songs, and then The Rolling Stones and The Who. 





Won’t be the one to say, " Are we there yet? "  Would be foolish to think Me-Me-Me is the last of it.  Introduce yourself.  Show me something.  Now move on.  3-4 billion on the planet and you have seen nothing yet.  Amazing technology.  Amazing you.   And then there is me.  Almost forgotten.  But not yet.   Say Woodstock.  Now go drink your tea.  Let’s get this day started.  You and I and The Selfie.  In living color.   Cue the music.  Live on.













2 comments:

  1. I like your last picture. These are ordinary people. There is a difference from the posed selfie. Truth is I don't like some of the selfs these selfies present. When all shout, "Me, me, me" I see the lone quiet one shining with an inner light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comment, John. Click on your name and get lost. not sure where to leave comments for you, so will just reply here and say hello. trust you are well.

      Delete