Thursday, July 30, 2015

KILLING TIME

KILLING TIME


 

Before I go very far, I need to give credit where credit is due.  Went out this week and came home with 10 books.  Today’s blog is based on opening the cover page and looking at the table of contents from this book:  Houses Of The World.  Author:  Francisco Asensio Cerver.  Published by:  Konemann, 2000.  So I don’t think I will get sued if I continue writing a blog inspired by a book I brought home from the thrift store.  Seems good show-and-tell-books are all becoming digital, and dragging home a heavy book full of pictures is happening less and less.  Even so, I wanted to set up a thinking and writing studio un my kitchen and use the hours I have to stimulate and increase the capacity of my mind.  And as a derived benefit, be aware what one must do to keep up in today’s environment.  Not sure I will ever figure out what I must do to keep up, but I do know my blog for today is:  Killing Time.  And that says a lot about being retired, and waiting for the Blue Angles Naval Flight Team to fly over my house.  So now we begin, best I can.

 

Killing time, but don’t want a lot of problems to come my way because I am fixated on expanding the mind, and reading, then turning that event into something that makes me feel better.  Must say, this idea of houses came when I could not sleep the other night, and laid in bed at 3 am trying to mentally construct a simple building.  Just visualization, and I realized I better stop what I was doing, as I am not a builder, nor architect and have no ability to draw or even remember faces.  So I designate myself a wanna-be-builder of a shack in the woods, where I can go to be out of the city.  Of course,  I don’t want to pay somebody to build this place for me.  So part of bringing home a book about houses, had to do with actualizing my night vision by  looking at the color pictures in this book.  And that did serve a purpose.  Each picture lists the architect that conceived the building pictured.


So here I am killing time, and have a book of houses pictured on the table in front of me.  So decided to use this as a starting point.  What harm or what good could come from looking at a book, then using the new computer station with 3 to 4 screens of information available to me at the same time?  I do know even in the early stages of this process and experiment, that all of this is a departure from my normal blogs, where I take on the surreal narrative and direct myself through a self-constructed maze, and come to some conclusion at the end of the blog.   Distraction and being disorganized and incoherent could be one side effect from what I am doing.  If so, stop reading now, and go play with the dog.


Have one hour and then will saddle up and go outside.  Summer and it will be hot today, so logic dictates that if you don’t have to be at work and inside with the air conditioned desk and work space, one should go outside, and enjoy just being out and about.  Is what I will be doing in about one hour.  Walk and pass this as exercise and an enhancement to the new me and my writing studio life.

 

Not sure when I am out, that I will concentrate on the urban architecture and modern buildings towering over me, as I make my way up one hill and down another.  Will just do as I often do, with or with being under the influence of a new book or a new look, I will assume a brand of innocence that I have acquired once reaching retirement status.  Old or Young, innocence is a recognizable thing, and will give more importance to this that the buildings I am passing by.

 

Already I am pleased with myself and what I am doing here.  Taking practical information from looking at a book, and then going online, use one reference name or point to acquire more information.  I didn’t want to concentrate on the work of one particular architect because of the first essay I was reading in the thrift store book.  Didn’t want to get tangled up with extending my knowledge at a novice level and then amplifying all of this in a blog.  Instead I just wanted to increase the capacity of my mind, kill some time, and try to keep up with those I might run into, while out exercising and walking in the neighborhood.


But writing and reading and killing time might be an acquired taste.  Which me to wanting to tell you,  that tomorrow or at some point, I will be blogging about Must-Visit-Destinations, places that I have been or want to go to, as in fulfilling my bucket list.  And also have a few cookbooks I carried home.  So on the subject of being inspired by a book, am quite unaware as this blog proceeds, how this will influence me and my blogging style in the coming weeks.


Keep your blog short.  Try to be interesting.  And so I have reached that point where I must stop.  Even as I feel I could go on and on,  I don’t wish to do that.  Killing time is good.  And now I have done that.  Will format this and picture this, and prepare for an afternoon walk, into the heat of the concrete jungle where I live out the day and engage with self and words and become a bundle of joy, when possible.  Taking my water bottle and dressing light, will try to blend in with the maddening crowd, make my way to nowhere particular and at the end of it all, pat myself on the back for not being arrested, and for not agitating people too busy for what I have to offer on this hot summer day.

 

Tis all I have to say just now.  Limited edition, by the very fact I have made a promise.  Keep your blog short.  Is the essence of what you see before you. The single work of a short-sighted man, with time on his hands and the mandate to kill time, without doing injury or harm to the essential character of the one called, Stoney Blogger.  Done now.

Amen.

 

2 comments: