Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Reality Show






The Reality Show


 


Today is the back-end of Mother’s Day 2016.  Sunday night and I decided this should be a fish and rice and perhaps sushi day.  Since I am home alone, and it is a special occasion, turns out there is great motivation to do something different.  Let me dial you in and explain straight away what might be different about me,  or more to the point, what is different about this day, my approach to this day, and finally how difference becomes the key motivator in change.  Mother’s Day and this demonstrates some of things I want to bring into the conversation.

 

Mother’s Day and you would think, this is the perfect time to drop the act and tell us something about yourself or your family.  “What was your mother like?”  sounds like something you might be asked on your first date with a total stranger that is looking for the perfect guy she could take home to her parents and with great enthusiasm just blurt it out?  “What do you think?  Is he a keeper?”


Going back to the idea that it is a special day, and we should handle these matters with special care.  Wasn’t long ago I took a look around and decided that my blogs seldom reflect the actuality of my circumstances.  But then it dawned on me that this was intentional.  A blog should be factual.  No artificial depiction of person, or place or particulars.

 


For me long ago I decided this should not be the format I would follow.  Could get serious if one mixes business with ones personal life and particulars.  Identity theft comes to mind.  People scoping you out and saying:   “Let’s meet.”  Many things were considered, but then again all this became center stage only 10 years ago, say  2006.  Bandwidth and many were able to afford connection prices and before you know it, this is big business.  Create a presence on The Internet and see what happens.

 


So here we are and it is a special day.  Mother’s Day.   Tomorrow it will be your birthday and after that comes something we can celebrate if we choose to.   Have been thinking about this for a while.  Stoney Blogger blogs for entertainment.  He wants to be creative.  Create, but not destroy.  And over the last 10 years since blogging sites have become popular, he has come up with a way to blog and please himself at the same time.  Win-win situation.  But then it comes to mind that we know very little about The-Real-Person.   His pictures are all wrong.  He writes.  He adds pictures.  And at the end of the day we consider his contribution to our social and public life, and come up with this.  “Not much.  Entertaining, but not much else.”

 


Was thinking about that and wonder how things could possibly be different.  With that in mind, I decided to look around, and give consideration to my local environment and ways.  “ How does Stoney-Blogger spend his days.  Does he work?  Is he smart or as his blogs suggest,   a little different?”

 

Mother’s Day.  Make this day special and something worth remembering.  If you were  Stoney, how would you do this.  Would you tell a story about your family and when you were living at home.  Would you tell that story about how you came to dinner and everybody was sitting around the table, with proper plates and silverware and place setting.  Food was being served and it was but a proper feast.  You found your place but noticed something wasn’t quite right.  Before me was a paper napkin, and plastic spoon and fork and knife, and a paper plate.  Suitable for a picnic, but not for a Sunday Night Dinner.


Before I could say, “Mama.”    The head of the table person stood up and made this announcement.  “We took a vote.  Then broke your plate and put it in the disposable bin.  Tis time for you to go.  We Broke Your  Plate.”

 


Year’s later and I am thinking back.  Did this really happen?   What were the circumstances of my last formal meal with my family?  Special Day and should I share it with the people in Blog-sphere?  Are there limits to being yourself on the internet?


Have decided this is what happens next.  I write about myself in a way that explores what is to be considered proper etiquette for conduct on The Internet.  Who decides such things?   How much can you really put out there about the Real You?  And this makes me smile.  Is a project and a challenge I intend to follow up on.  But not today?  Always difficult to decide what to tell and what to keep to yourself.

 

“Did they really break my plate?  Or did they just hide it, because that’s what they would do on a special occasion when they wanted to let you know.  You are special.”


 

No comments:

Post a Comment